Punjab Tourism for Economic Growth Project is a five year project being implemented in collaboration with World Bank. The total funding of the Project is 55 Million USD with World Bank contribution of USD 50 million over five years under project investment lending mode. The project has been negotiated with World Bank on 06th-7th February, 2017 and approved from the board on March 15th 2017. The objective of the project is to increase contribution of the tourism and related sectors to local economic development by improving infrastructure services, strengthening institutional capacity and enhancing private sector participation in the sector. The specific objectives are:
- To support the Government of Punjab in drafting and implementing a tourism policy supported by comprehensive institutional reforms for effective implementation framework.
- Develop tourism sectors assets, institutions and infrastructure to increase tourist volume.
- Leverage private sector’s potential to create new economic opportunities for job creation, revenue generation, innovation, entrepreneurship and production efficiency increase.
- To promote an environment of pluralism and tolerance in the province through raised awareness of a varied culture and heritage.
The project is being implemented by a dedicated Project Management Unit (PTEGP) and steered by Planning and Development Department (P&DD) in collaboration with the relevant implementing agencies given as follows:
- Youth Affairs, Sports, Archeology and Tourism Department (YASA&T)
- Tourism Development Corporation of Punjab (TDCP)
- Communication and Works Department (C&W)
- Department of Tourism Services (DTS)
- Auqaf & Religious Affairs Department
- Transport Department, Government of Punjab
- Local Government and Community Development Department
- Information and Culture Department (I & C )
- Public Private Partnership Cell, P&D Department (PPP Cell)
- Walled City Authority, Lahore
- Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB)